1. We can’t ______ one to change the habits of a lifetime in a short time.
A. hope B. wait C. expect D. imagine
2. The noise was so ______ that only those with excellent hearing were aware of it.
A. dim B. soft C. faint D. gentle
3. His landlady gave him a week’s ______ to leave the flat.
A. threat B. notice C. advice D. caution
4. When I took his temperature, it was two degrees above ______.
A. average B. ordinary C. regular D. normal
5. It is clear that the whole world is passing through a social revolution in which a central ______ must be taken by scientists and technologists.
A. process B. attention C. measure D. part
6. When I worked as the general manager of the firm, I sometimes had ______ to visit London on business.
A. opportunity B. possibility C. occasion D. chance
7. He sent me an E-mail, _______ to get further information.
A. hoped B. hoping C. to hope D. hope
8. _______ in 1636, Harvard is one of the most famous universities in the United Stares.
A. Being founded B. It was founded C. Founded D. Founding
9. The sunlight came in ______ the windows in the roof and lit up the whole room.
A. through B. across C. on D. over
10. I must go there earlier. John has suggested that I ______ an hour before the discussion begins.
A. go B. shall go C. will go D. would go